Mold mite infestations can be challenging to identify and treat. If you're unsure what they are or how to get them out of your house, here's everything you need to know.
Q: A neighbor recently told me they discovered some white powdery substance in their house. Are these mites dangerous?
B: Mold mites (Tyrophagus putrescentiae) are small arthropods with an approximate length of 0.3 mm. They're similar in shape and appearance to houseflies. Their main differences from houseflies are that they mainly eat mold and not feces.
Molds are microscopic organisms that grow on decaying organic matter, such as dead plants and animals. These molds produce spores that can survive harsh conditions and reproduce quickly. To protect themselves against predators and parasites, molds secrete an oily substance called mycelium that helps them spread through the environment. Some species also produce toxins that may cause allergic reactions in humans.
Read on if you want to know how to identify mold mite infestations and what to do if they're found in your house.
Mold mites are minor furry bugs that live on mold and feed off its nutrients.
Molds are microscopic organisms that grow on damp things such as soil, plants, and decaying organic matter. They feed off of bacteria and fungi, which decompose dead plant material. These tiny creatures may cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to them. Molds reproduce quickly and multiply rapidly under moist conditions. Some species of molds produce spores that float through the air. When these spores land on another surface, they germinate into new colonies of molds.
Mold mite bites don't hurt people and aren't dangerous for them.
Mold mite bites don't cause any severe harm to people. They may be mistaken for allergic rashes or minor irritations, but they're just allergic responses to the mold mite's saliva. Mold mite bites don't hurt anyone, as they rarely bite.
Mold mites, although they may not be harmful, can trigger allergies.
It's unclear if the itching is related to a response to the molds or something else.
Getting rid of any mold as soon as you notice it is essential because, if not treated, it could lead to wheezing, sneezing, and shortness of breath when inhaling the mold spores. Mold and mold mite allergies can be particularly problematic for people allergic to dust mite allergens.
They're so small that they look invisible to the naked eye.
Mold molds are about a one-half millimeter in length. They often grow in patches, so photographing them with a high-definition digital microscope is the best way to see if they're present. You might notice "dust" on shelves or other surfaces, indicating molds' presence.
Molds and their colonies of mites are not just found indoors; they may be located outdoors too.
Molds grow best in damp environments such as bathrooms and kitchens. They may also develop in dark places such as closets and basements. When they get too large, they'll produce a thick white coating called a "damp" or "black" coat. In addition to being unsightly, these coats can cause health problems if not removed properly.
A mold miter's life expectancy is usually nine to thirty days. Each female mold miter can lay up to eight hundred eggs during that period. Mould mites continually repopulate their colonies. They will then move to other places, finishing up in meal items or other regions of the house. If the mold is not treated, mold mites may become desperate for fresh feed because of overpopulation or a natural modification.
If you think you might have mold or mold mite infestation, call a professional to treat the problem.
Homeowners need to call professionals when they suspect that there might be a problem with water damage caused by a leaky roof. If homeowners attempt to fix the problem themselves, there's a chance that they won't get rid of all the water damage spores.
If not adequately treated, improper treatment of mold spores can lead to their dispersal through the area, their growth in new areas nearby, and subsequently, they may be able to use cleansing products as a food supply.
A professional can identify the kind of mold and give the right treatment choice to eradicate it from your house. They might utilize an aerosol or mist treatment with pesticide to kill off the mold mites. Once the mold is eliminated, homeowners could desire to purify the atmosphere inside their residence and clean the place close to the mold, including any carpets or floors. Nonetheless, the best method to eliminate mold mites would be to remove their meal supply: the mold.