As I have become more aware of air pollution, I was surprised to learn that it's not just an outdoor problem. Indoor air quality can also affect our health and quality of life. When I tried to solve this problem using an air purifier, I was unprepared for the overwhelming number of models on the market. Below are the results.
Best Large Room Air Purifier
- LEVOIT HV-H134 True HEPA (Editor's Choice)
- Coway AIRMEGA 400 Smart Air Purifier
- RabbitAir MinusA2 HEPA
- IQAir HealthPro Plus
- Alen BreatheSmart Classic
After lots of research, I've put together an air purifier guide that should help you find a large room air purifier that will help you keep the best air in your home free of pollutants and protect your long-term health. Whether you're looking for an air purifier that is affordable and efficient, or you'd like to go all out and make no compromises on an air purifier, I've got you covered.
The Top 5 In the Industry
After reviewing hundreds of air purifiers, I had the difficult task of narrowing down the selection to my top 5 choices for the best air purifiers for a large room. To qualify as a large room air purifier has to be able to cover at least 300 square feet.
1. LEVOIT HV-H134 True HEPA (Editor's Choice)
Levoit is a relatively new and unknown company, founded in 2017 in California. HV-V134 is their take on an air purifier for large rooms. The LEVOIT HV-H134 True HEPA Air Purifier comes in a unique tower design that takes up less space and is more discrete than most of the air purifier units in the market.
One of the critical advantages of Levoit HV-H134 is the patented 3-stage air filtration system, which includes pre-filtration for the removal of lint, fibers, hair, and pet fur, an H13 True HEPA filter for smaller particles, and an activated carbon filter for odors, harmful chemicals, and gases. The company claims that its True HEPA filter technology outperforms the 99.97% efficiency of up to 0.03-micron particles that most True HEPA filter devices offer.
All Levoit devices utilize innovative technologies and integrate with your smartphone and tablet. HV-H134 is strong enough to provide two changes in room air in larger rooms up to 1,250 square feet. The device comes with several presets and programs, but it can be custom programmed easily.
Levoit HV-H134 is one of the most affordable True HEPA filter air purifier products for larger rooms that I reviewed. Most of the air purifiers with these features usually command double the price on the market. This might be it if you are looking for one device that will take care of all air purifiers' tasks and not break your budget.
- One of the most affordable large room air purifiers with a True HEPA filter
- Suitable for the best large room in houses; covers an ample space of up to 1,250 square feet
- Efficient removal of dust particles and most irritants and allergens
- At max capacity, averages around 2 room air change every hour
- Compact and easy to move from one room to another.
- One of the better-looking air purifiers on the market
- The company struggles to provide replacement filters on time
- The filters need to be changed twice every year
- Inefficient at removing odors from large rooms
- Struggles to move large room air under lower settings
2. Coway AIRMEGA 400
Coway AIRMEGA 400 Smart Air Purifier takes a different air purification approach than IQAir HealthPro Plus. You will not find the medical-grade air filtration quality here (let's be honest, how many people need a medical-grade air filtration?), but the addition of several features and smart home integration of the device are the strong points of this air purifier.
At the center of the system is the MAX2 filter, which uses a combination of an activated carbon filter and a true HEPA filter. This air purifier removes dust, pet dander, odors, chemicals, and gases from rooms. This is where this air purifier shines. With fantastic coverage of up to 1,560 square feet, it is one of the most potent air purifiers I reviewed.
Coway AIRMEGA 400 has a smart-ready user interface that integrates well with all modern smartphones and tablets. It has an intelligent sensor that gives instant feedback on the current air quality in the large room. Additionally, a filter indicator sensor monitors the health and lifespan of the filters in the device and warns you about the best time to replace them.
The air purifier is nearly silent at the lowest setting, and at full load, it hits 45 decibels in a room, which is incredible for an air purifier of such capacity. It also has an ECO mode which consumes less electricity. The device is energy efficient and averages 64 watts of consumption an hour.
At the highest coverage (1,560 square feet), the air purifier manages two air changes per hour of large room air. A large room of around 800 square feet will perform about four air changes per hour of large room air.
- Excellent coverage at around 1,560 square feet at two air changes per hour; strong enough to cover large rooms
- Combination MAX2 filter has a true HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter, efficient at removing dust, mold spores, and pet dander from the large room air.
- Excellent performance and capacity at a midrange price; great value for the money
- One of the best air purifiers on the market in terms of smart integration and intelligent design
- Nearly silent at lower operating settings and maxing out at 45 decibels at the highest setting
- Compact and mobile; easily moved between rooms.
- This air purifier does not sacrifice design and aesthetics
- Intelligent sensors that provide real-time room air quality feedback, as well as indicators of filter health and replacement notifications
- Activated carbon filter needs changing every six months and is quite expensive
- Room air quality is solid but far from the industry-leading performance
- Not efficient for allergen removal (but okay for dust and pet dander)
3. RabbitAir MinusA2 HEPA
The RabbitAir MinusA2 HEPA air purifier is the most technologically advanced air purifier I reviewed, and some of its features are the best that the industry has to offer. The first thing you notice about the device is that it is incredibly compact and slim. It is also the only air purifier that can work as a stand-alone or a wall-mounted air purifier.
The sleek, digital design is bolstered with the best 6-stage air filtration system I have ever seen. Stage 1 is the prefiltration of significant allergens and dust. Stage 2 is medium filtration of up to 1 micron. Stage 3 is the BioGS HEPA filter with 99.97% efficiency up to 0.03 microns. Stage 4 is a custom filter of your choice (RabbitAir offers Germ Defense, Pet Allergy, Odor Remover, or Toxin Remover). Stage 5 is a charcoal-based activated carbon filter. Step 6 is a negative ion generator.
Although it comes with superior air filtration technology, the unit sacrifices the capacity to achieve air quality. In most cases, the team should cover a large room of up to 800 square feet but only at two air changes every hour. Susceptible individuals should settle for coverage of up to 400 square feet.
- Excellent performance at a mid-range price
- The fantastic 6-stage air filtration system
- Sleek design fits into modern decor; wall mountable
- Nearly-silent and energy-efficient unit
- Smart-compatible unit with several presets and features
- Limited capacity; performs best in rooms of up to 400 square feet and maxes out at 800 square feet
- The fan design is not durable and has a relatively short lifespan
- In case of a power outage, you will lose all your settings and presets
4. IQAir HealthPro Plus
IQAir HealthPro Plus Air Purifier is a fantastic all-purpose solution for homes or large rooms that successfully removes dust, mold spores, pet dander, pollen, and other pollutants from the air. It utilizes superior HyperHEPA air filtration technology that guarantees 99.5% efficiency in removing particles up to 0.003 microns, ten times smaller than the standard accurate HEPA filter solutions.
IQAir also has alumina pellet technology that removes harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde and a granulated activated carbon filter that successfully deals with odors and volatile organic compounds (VOC). Coupled with nano-filtration technology in the Hyper HEPA filters, IQ Air HealthPro Plus performs excellently across several air pollutants. It can successfully clean the air in even the most problematic rooms.
What attracted me to this air purifier was the low noise, even at higher settings. It's also energy efficient, delivering air in a 320-degree pattern and consuming only 27 watts an hour at the lowest stage (215 watts at the highest setting). The IQAir can cover up to 1,125 square feet.
The required maintenance of this air purifier depends on the type of filter that needs to be replaced. PreMax filters last 18 months, V5-Cell filters last two years, and Hyper HEPA filters for the previous four years.
IQAir HealthPro Plus delivers the best medical-grade performance in filtering allergens and asthma triggers while doing a stand-up job on the chemicals, odors, and smoke. While it is not the most affordable air purifier on our list, there are no compromises in terms of performance or build quality.
- The fantastic performance of the Hyper HEPA filter guarantees better than 99.97% efficiency up to 0.03 microns and 99.5% efficiency at 0.003 microns.
- It comes with alumina pellet air filtration to remove harmful chemicals from rooms.
- Includes an activated carbon filter for odors and gases
- Covers a large room of up to 1,125 square feet
- Mobile air purifier and easily placed in different areas of your house or large room
- Durable and requires little maintenance except for the filter replacement (every 18 to 48 months, depending on the filter type)
- Quiet operation at only 25 decibels at the lowest setting and 59 decibels at full load
- Power-efficient at 27 watts at the lowest setting, up to 215 watts at the highest setting
- Pricey. Not the most affordable air purifier, regardless of its supreme quality and performance
- Replacement of the filters is more expensive than the market average for similar devices
- The air purifier is relatively large, so it needs a dedicated space to operate
5. Alen BreatheSmart Classic
I was surprised that the Alen BreatheSmart Classic air purifier for large rooms is a child of NASA airflow engineers. It is a beautiful, compact device that will fit into any room and comes in various colors, making it easy to blend with your furniture. That gave me the confidence to learn more about the device and try some of its features.
This air purifier boasts a True HEPA filter, and the Alen BreatheSmart Classic is no different. Efficient at dust, mold spore, and pet dander removal, this device delivers solid performance in up to 1,100 square feet of large rooms. The unit averages two significant room air changes at 1,100 square feet. That is plenty of commission for the most important rooms.
BreatheSmart Classic is one of the best air purifiers for noise. The device is nearly silent in almost all operating settings except at full load, which averages only 43 decibels. The best acoustic performance is at the lower stages.
- One of the best for low noise on the market
- Eye-catching air purifier design that offers plenty of color options
- Powerful cleaner and efficient enough to take care of most dust, mold spores, pet dander, and other pollutants
- Sleep mode, with the near-silent operation and no notification lights
- Smart integration of air purifiers with most smartphone and mobile devices
- This large room air purifier is suitable for up to 1,100 square feet
- Struggles to keep up with large room air purifiers on the market in terms of efficiency and quality of air filtration
- Not the best air purifier value for the money
How Big Should An Air Purifier Be For A Room?
W isn'tizen't always the most crucial faWhenD when choosing an air purifier. Depending on the size of your room and its specific needs, you may only need a small or medium-sized unit. However, if you have a large room or suffer from allergies, you'll want to invest in a larger team. Generally speaking, room air purifiers range in size from about 8 feet by 8 feet to 18 feet by 18 feet. The bigger the unit, the more powerful it will be and the better it will be at cleaning large areas quickly. In general, air purifiers for smaller rooms are less expensive but may not be as effective at removing pollutants.
Can An Air Purifier Be Too Big For A Room?
When purchasing an air purifier, the size of the room is often a deciding factor. However, some air purifiers can be large and take up a lot of space. If you are unsure if an air purifier is too big for your room, ask your sales representative.
How Many Air Purifiers Should You Have In Your Home?
If you want to purify the air in your home, you can do a few different things. One easy way is to buy an air purifier. There are several different types and models of air purifiers, so it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. You also can try to clean your air vents. Dirty air vents can lead to bad air quality in your home. You can clean your air vents using a vacuum cleaner, dustpan, or soft brush.
Can You Use Two Air Purifiers In The Same Room?
Typically, two air purifiers can be used in the same room as long as they do not disturb each other's operation. If one air purifier blows more strongly, it may cause some interference and require adjustments on both devices.
How Long Does It Take For An Air Purifier To Clean A Room?
It takes an air purifier about an hour to clean a room.
What is the best air purifier for a large area?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as different air purifiers perform better on other materials depending on the size of the area being purged. You may want to consider factors including particle measurement results, noise levels, ease of use, and price.
What's the best air cleaner on the market?
The best air cleaner on the market is the Honeywell HEPA filter. It's highly effective at removing particles smaller than 0.3 microns, the width of human hair.
Can you run two air purifiers in one room?
Yes, you can run two air purifiers in one room if they are both using the same filter.
Is a more significant air purifier better?
Simply put, the most significant air purifier is not always the best choice. Some of the smallest, most efficient air purifiers can filter larger rooms than some of the most influential models. The size of an air purifier's filter is just one factor to consider when shopping for an air purifier. Other factors to consider include how often the filter will need to be replaced and how much noise the machine makes.
How big of an air purifier do I need for my bedroom?
An air purifier for your bedroom will depend on the room size and how often you plan on using it. Generally, an air purifier suitable for a room smaller than 500 square feet will be less expensive than one designed for a larger space.
Does it matter the size of an air purifier?
The size of an air purifier is not that important. The effectiveness of an air purifier depends on the Specific Flow Rate (SFR) – the amount of air per minute that it can remove from a room. Larger units can move more air per minute but are typically more expensive.