As a gun owner who has invested in safes, finding the best dehumidifiers should be at the top of your to-do list. Any gun can begin showing rust when exposed to a humid environment over an extended period of time, and failing to check the humidity levels inside your safe can be disastrous to the integrity of your firearms.
Best Gun Safe Dehumidifier
- Eva-Dry E-333 Renewable Mini-Dehumidifier (Editor's Choice)
- hOmeLabs Compact Dehumidifier
- GoldenRod 24” Dehumidifier Rod
- Pro Breeze Renewable Cordless Mini Dehumidifier
- LOCKDOWN Dehumidifier Rod
If you don’t want your guns, ammo or other accessories exposed to corrosion, it is very important to invest in a dehumidifier for your safe. For this task, we have listed reviews of the best gun safe dehumidifiers, as well as some information that will help you find the best model for your needs.
The Top 5 In the Industry
1. Eva-Dry E-333 Renewable
First in our search for the best safe dehumidifier is a model from Eva-Dry. You can cut down humidity in gun safes without increasing your carbon footprint with the Eva-Dry E33’s renewable silica gel beads. The beads in these safe dehumidifiers capture airborne liquid for up to an eight-week period, and when it’s full, you can simply plug the unit in a ventilated area to recharge the beads.
This product is entirely silent because of its renewable silica gel technology, unlike other units that require batteries or electricity. It doesn't need a plug in power source. In terms of the size, the E-333 gives you the advantage of fitting into little spaces that other types of dehumidifiers can’t. In terms of ease of use, it is extremely easy to operate because it doesn’t require batteries or electricity to keep safes dry. There isn’t even a water tank to empty.
These popular wireless and tiny dehumidifiers are the size of a car radio, making it very portable. This product works through the process of absorption. Silica gel inside the unit absorbs and attracts moisture through the unit’s plastic front grill. The gel in these safes changes color from blue to pink when saturated. You can plug the unit to “recharge” it, and the heat from the electrical unit dries out the silica gel so that you can use it again.
These dehumidifiers have a moisture removal capacity of 4 to 6 ounces. According to the manufacturer, the E-333 safes will reach its capacity after 2-4 weeks of use in your safe, depending on the conditions of the space the unit is dehumidifying. It reaches its capacity more quickly in more humid and warmer conditions.
The design of this product works best in mild moisture conditions in small spaces—like gun safes. At approximately $20, the E-333 is a very inexpensive solution to mild moisture problems.
- Good for safes and other small, enclosed spaces
- Protects up to 333 cubic feet from moisture
- Operates with power or batteries
- Silica gel beads last up to 10 years
- Five-year warranty
- Low capacity and performance
- Takes up to 12 hours to recharge this product
2. hOmeLabs Compact
Among all the different compact dehumidifiers in the market, we chose the one from the popular hOmeLabs brand as our favorite. Not only is it a trusted brand, but we think it is the perfect dehumidifier for safes to keep humidity low and prevent mold, mildew, and allergens on those long road trips.
These hOmeLabs dehumidifiers are perfect for gun safes, with its small build and ability to extract 250 ml of moisture in a day. The 500-ml tank of this mini dehumidifier product means that it can take a couple of days to fill up depending on the conditions within your safe. Its removable tank allows for easy disposal of water by the side of the road or in the sink.
These dehumidifiers remove moisture from rooms up to 150 square feet, perfect the size to keep your safe nice and dry. It’s so small that, if you’re not traveling, you can transfer it to your house to continue to enjoy the benefits of this dehumidifier. It also features an indicator light, so you know when to empty the tank.
This dehumidifier incredibly easy to maintain. To ensure that it is working at peak efficiency all of the time, you should clean the dehumidifier weekly. However, it isn’t too much of a chore, as you merely need to wipe down the surface to remove any accumulated dust and use a soft-bristled toothbrush to remove any dirt on the intake area.
- Auto shut-off function
- An indicator light warns you when the tank full
- Dehumidifies up to 150 square feet
- A large capacity tank allows up to two days’ operation without draining
- 110V power supply with two flat pin plugs (9V/2.5A)
- Peltier technology allows quiet operation
- Compact design makes it easy to move from the safe to different rooms of the house
- This safe works slowly
- Not for ideal larger areas
- Can’t keep up in an environment where moisture is increasing
3. GoldenRod 24” Rod
This dehumidifier’s brand is one of the oldest and most trusted in the industry. The unit itself is a heated rod that is ideal for use in safes. The GoldenRod dehumidifier is one of the few products that has a lifetime warranty, and it is maintenance-free and silent with no moving parts while keeping your valuable dry.
GoldenRod dehumidifiers are designed to lower moisture by warming the air. This process reduces the probability of condensed water vapor inside your gun safe, preventing damage to the items inside. The vermiculite mineral in the unit ensures an even heat distribution throughout the rod, which contributes to its effective operation.
This electric dehumidifier reaches a maximum surface temperature of just below 150°F/65°C, not as hot as an oven, but it may be a little uncomfortable to handle with bare hands but not hot enough to ignite any household material, even paper. If mounted, as recommended, on the floor of a storage container such as a gun safe, the warm air rises on top of the container, and cooler air circulates with the warm air, preventing condensation.
The approximate coverage of a 24-inch model is 300 square feet. Mounting brackets come with each purchase, and the manufacturer recommends mounting the unit horizontally for full effect. The length of the cord is also customizable, making it less likely to snag on anything.
Using a heated rod model like GoldenRod is a very low-cost alternative for protecting your firearms. It allows you to control relative humidity in a safe to approximately 40 to 50%, thus keeping your guns dry. The energy costs are scarcely noticeable.
- These products don't ever overheat
- Services a larger area, up to 300 square feet
- Silent operation while removing moisture
- Low energy use
- Lifetime warranty
- The legs which support the rod are not sturdy
- Heats up almost as warm as an oven, making it uncomfortable to carry
- Needs to be plugged in
4. Pro Breeze Renewable Cordless Mini
The Pro Breeze cordless dehumidifier is very similar to the Eva Dry model, from having the same basic shape and design as well as the silica gel material for absorbing moisture.
These dehumidifier products are very compact and can cover spaces up to 333 square feet. It is ideal for removing moisture from closets, cabinets, and jewelry boxes to protect your accessories. This product also protects gym bags, drawers, bookcases, storage boxes, and safes. It uses orange silica gel beads that gradually turn green when full. A small viewing window on the front indicates when it’s time to recharge the unit.
The dehumidifier can absorb up to 150 ml of moisture, lasting from a 2 to a 4-week period (depending on conditions) before needing to be recharged. The gel changes to bright orange to indicate that the device is fully charged. However, there is no automatic shut-off, and the gel may pop if the unit is left plugged in for too long..
The device also has a sturdy build and comes in a small size. It works best in small spaces with poor ventilation.
This model stops mold, mildew, and wood rot—ideal for your safe. The unit comes with a built-in 110V AC power connector in the back for easy cordless operation. The gel is non-toxic. In cases of spillage, the safety of kids and pets at home won’t be an issue.
Unlike an electric dehumidifier, there are no bulky cables to worry about. You can recharge by simply plugging in an electrical outlet to warm up. The manufacturer says that it takes 8-10 hours to recharge, though some users say that it takes close to two days to dry the gel fully.
- Very easy to use
- Color-changing indicator when a recharge is needed
- Ideal for small spaces
- Pet and child-friendly
- Easy-viewing window
- No warranty mentioned for these products
- Beads may leak when overcharged
- Needs an electrical outlet for recharging
- This product takes a long time to recharge
5. LOCKDOWN Rod
This desiccant dehumidifier uses a bar-type heating element that can be attached to the inside of your safe to raise the temperature to a safe degree. The dehumidifier rod works by slightly increasing and stabilizing the air in any safe. If mounted at a low point in the safe, the rod will continuously radiate heat through the entire vault interior.
The LockDown electric dehumidifier rod is relatively easy to install, thanks to its quick plug attachment. However, a hole must be drilled to feed the cable out if your gun safes don't have a power hook-up. The rod itself easily clips to its mounting brackets, which are held to the inside of the safe by self-adhesive Velcro pads. It also comes with a mounting bracket to attach to the bottom of your safe.
This dehumidifier requires an electrical outlet. Once plugged in, the rod puts out enough heat so that the air inside the safe will have a temperature five degrees higher than the air outside to prevent damaging condensation from forming in the interior. This process guards your ammo against rust and dries approximately 100 cubic feet. This dehumidifier is perfect for removing moisture from safes that can hold 18-36 guns.
The rods of these electric dehumidifiers are constructed out of durable extruded aluminum and include one year of warranty.
- The product is easy to install
- Available in 12-inch and 18-inch models
- Takes up little space in gun safes
- Can control the moisture level up to 120 degrees fahrenheit
- Services a smaller area, only up to 100 cubic feet
- Desiccant operation naturally removes water from the air
- Quick plu attachment
- Simple and easy to use
- Cheaper than other alternatives
- The plug isn’t the sturdiest on this product
- Electric models require a constant power source
What Damage Can Too Much Humidity Do?
You may wonder how much damage too much humidity can do to your safe, your guns, and other accessories. It’s not too dangerous in the sense of health and safety, but there are some issues that you need to be aware of when on the hunt for the best dehumidifier for gun safe.
It is worth considering that many of us don’t open our gun safe doors regularly, making moisture issues hard to notice. However, excess moisture within a gun safe can cause a number of problems.
- Damage to your ammo. High humidity can reduce or even stop the performance of bullets. Ammo is likely to be the first thing to be damaged if moisture levels rise too much.
- Growth of mold. A lot of moisture and dampness can lead to mold inside your gun safe. Mold is more likely to start on the foam-coated pieces attached to the safe's interiors. You can clean mold build-up, but it’s best to prevent it in the first place.
- Rust build-up on guns. Even the most durable and toughest guns can suffer rust problems if humidity levels are too high. The guns' function and appearance are affected if moisture is left unchecked for too long.
- Rusty safe. Even a durable gun safe can suffer from rust in the long run. Rust can slowly eat metal over months or years before you notice it.
- Damage to other items in the safe: Too much moisture or a high humidity level can damage other things such as documents, jewelry, money, and other valuables. In many cases, these valuables are far more vulnerable than firearms.
The Different Types
Silica gel is the most popular dehumidifier type for a gun safe. Silica gel is the same sort of material that comes packaged with products that need to be free of moisture. It’s a desiccant substance that naturally removes water from the air it touches.
You can easily place a silica gel dehumidifier inside a safe since they don’t need electricity to run. As they absorb moisture, the beads will change color. Once they completely change in color, the beads can be renewed by plugging the unit in. Then the cycle continues, and you put the device back in the safe again.
Even if you renew them every few weeks, these units can last for years. The frequency with which you recharge the silica gel depends on how humid the safe is.
While they won’t make much of a dent in a large room, this gel is quite efficient at removing moisture from a small space like a safe. You can have a good idea of how humid the atmosphere is from the color of the beads.
Rod-type gun safe dehumidifiers are electrical units that keep the air just warm enough to keep the interior of the safe a bit hotter than the outside temperature, allowing the air to circulate and keeping moisture at bay.
Rod dehumidifiers are another very effective method of dehumidifying a small space. They keep your guns completely dry inside the safe. They’re very silent and relatively maintenance-free since they don't require recharging. They do, however, need to be plugged into an electrical outlet to work.
Some people prefer this type because of its low-maintenance configuration. Other people prefer the cordless silica gel method. Both are effective and inexpensive, so it all boils down to personal taste and preference. There is no need to use both methods at the same time.
What Else Can Be Done to Keep Humidity Levels Low?
Dehumidifiers are not the only effective way of keeping your gun safe, clean, and condensation-free. Dehumidifying alone is a huge step, but you must also take the following countermeasures to protect your ammo and your guns:
- Put the gun safe in a cool, dry place. You must ensure that the gun safe won’t suffer from too much heat or moisture inside or outside. It is common to put a gun safe in the basement, but make sure that your basement doesn’t have dampness issues.
- Check inside regularly. There is a risk that you won’t even notice that humidity levels inside your gun safe are escalating. Checking your safe regularly will easily prevent this scenario.
- Use a fan. If the humidity does rise, place a fan near the safe to keep the air fresh and cool. Remember that this is only a temporary solution to a humidity problem.
- Place desiccant silica gel packs inside.
- The best moisture absorber for gun safe. These packs are like those that come in boxes with new shoes. They usually say “do not eat” on the outside. These silica gel packs are the same material used in a desiccant dehumidifier. Silica beads are ideal for keeping moisture levels low in a small, enclosed area such as the safe inside of a gun. Remember, though, silica gel can be dangerous if eaten by children or pets.
- Use charcoal, baking soda, or coffee grounds. Place them in an open container inside the safe. Plenty of people trust these desiccant materials to absorb moisture in any scenario. However, you must replace them regularly since they cannot be recharged like a desiccant dehumidifier.
- Protect your guns from rusting. You may use numerous products such as sprays and creams to keep your guns free from rust. Remember that taking good care of your guns by allowing them to remain dry and clean, is essential to keep them from rusting.
Humidity levels shouldn’t be kept too low, as the low humidity can dry up your ammo. Ideal storage conditions occur at 50% humidity. You must constantly reassess the climate where your gun safe is situated, as the humidity levels might change with the weather.
The points raised from the topics above show how important moisture levels are to your gun safe. However, if you want to be sure about humidity levels in your gun safe, you might want to consider purchasing a dehumidifier.
These are some of the advantages of using gun-safe dehumidifiers:
- The best solution. Without a doubt, using a silica gel or rod dehumidifier to regulate the humidity of your gun safe is the best option. While other methods may present themselves as decent, there is no substitute for using a dehumidifier specifically designed for a safe gun or other small space.
- No effort involved. Using materials like charcoal or baking soda requires effort on your part. With a dehumidifier, you don’t have to worry about anything at all. At most, you need to recharge your device every few weeks or months, but even this isn’t necessary for some dehumidifiers.
- Not expensive. You don’t need to worry about the cost of dehumidifiers since they are designed to save you money in the long run. Many desiccant dehumidifiers don’t even need batteries or electricity to run.
- Highly portable. Almost all safe dehumidifiers are small and easy to move around. If you ever need to move the dehumidifier to another place, it’s as easy as dismantling and mounting it again.
- Long-lasting. Most gun-safe dehumidifiers will give you years of trouble-free service. You will have peace of mind as you know that your firearms are safe and sound even if you don’t check on them regularly.
Do Dehumidifier Rods Work?
There is much debate about whether dehumidifier rods work or not. Claims can be made for both sides of the argument, so it’s important to be armed with the facts before making a decision. Do dehumidifier rods work? Dehumidifier rods work by condensing moist air and transferring it to the external environment. They are often marketed as a cheaper and more effective alternative to central air conditioning systems. However, some research suggests that they do not effectively remove moisture from the air.
Read more: How do dehumidifier rods work?
Who Makes Goldenrod Dehumidifier?
Goldenrod is a flower that grows in the United States, Europe, and Asia. The juice of the goldenrod plant is used to make dehumidifiers.
Are GoldenRod Dehumidifiers Safe?
If you are looking for an affordable dehumidifier that can be used in different areas of your home, the GoldenRod AD262ADW may be a good option. This dehumidifier is designed to operate on a coolant system, so it is safe to use in any room in your home. The GoldenRod AD262ADW also features an Energy Star rating, so it is environmentally friendly. While this dehumidifier is effective at removing moisture from the air, it is not rated as being safe for pets or children.
How Hot Does Dehumidifier Rod Get?
A dehumidifier Rod is always hot to the touch. This is because the coils inside the unit are always running. There is no need for a fan or an compressor since the coils do all of the work.
What Type Of Dehumidifier Is Best For A Gun Safe?
Dehumidifiers come in different shapes and sizes, but there are some common features that are found on all dehumidifiers. The most important part of a dehumidifier is the water Removal Rate, which measures how much water is removed from the air every hour. Dehumidifiers with high removal rates are the best choice for gun safes because they can quickly remove moisture from the air inside the safe. Some other factors to consider when purchasing a dehumidifier for a gun safe include price and features such as auto shut-off and temperature control.
Do Dehumidifiers Work In Gun Safes?
Do dehumidifiers work in gun safes? There is no question that a dehumidifier can be beneficial in many areas of the home, such as reducing the humidity levels in the air. However, there is some debate as to whether these devices can help protect firearms from damage. Many experts argue that while a lower humidity level will certainly help protect your firearms, it isn’t enough on its own. A firearm stored in an environment with a high humidity level will still be susceptible to corrosion and rust. In order for a dehumidifier to be effective at protecting firearms from damage, it is recommended that the device be used in conjunction with a proper gun safe. When using a dehumidifier to protect your firearms from moisture, always make sure that you have the proper safety and security measures in place. For example, ensure that the safe has been tested and is properly installed and locked. Also, keep your firearms locked up when they are not being used and store them out of reach of children.
Is DampRid Safe For Gun Safes?
DampRid is a firearm cleaning and protection product that is said to be safe for gun safes. The product comprises a unique blend of moisture-absorbing crystals and repellent technology. DampRid is not a foam, aerosol, liquid or gel gun cleaner but a combination of these types of cleaners. The primary ingredients are sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and distilled water. According to the product's website, DampRid was designed with the hunter in mind. The product is designed to be used on guns after they have been hunting in order to prevent rusting and corrosion. It is also said to work well on chrome plating and other metal surfaces. When it comes to safety, there has been no real studies that have looked into the effects of using DampRid on gun safes. However, since the product does not contain solvents or other potentially harmful chemicals, it seems likely to be safe for these storage units.
What Humidity Should A Gun Safe Be Kept At?
When it comes to humidity and your firearms, there is no single answer since the level of humidity required will vary depending on the weapon and its make. However, generally speaking, a gun safe should be kept at a level between 50 and 70 percent humidity to keep your firearms safe and free from corrosion.
What Size GoldenRod Dehumidifier Do I Need?
When looking to purchase a dehumidifier, there are a few things to consider: the size of the room(s) needing dehumidification, the type of dehumidifier, and the cost. To calculate the size of the GoldenRod dehumidifier needed for a room, divide its square footage by the desired humidity level. For instance, if a room requires 50% humidity and the DeHummID rated at 60CFM, the room would need a 2-ton GoldenRod dehumidifier. Another consideration is the type of dehumidifier. GoldenRod makes two types of dehumidifiers: wheeled and countertop. The wheeled models can be moved from room to room while being used, whereas the countertop models must be placed in one specific spot. Finally, price is another factor to consider when purchasing a dehumidifier. While not everything needs to be expensive, choosing a more expensive model will likely last longer and have more features that consumers may find useful.
Wrapping It Up
Finding the best gun safe dehumidifier requires some work. That’s why we have given you our reviews and detailed buying guide to make your life as stress-free as possible without compromising on getting the right dehumidifier.
Table of Contents
Gun Safe Dehumidifier Reviews
- Eva-Dry E-333 Renewable Mini-Dehumidifier
- GoldenRod 24” Dehumidifier Rod
- Pro Breeze Renewable Cordless Mini Dehumidifier
- LOCKDOWN Dehumidifier Rod
How to choose a gun safe dehumidifiers
- What Damage Can Too Much Humidity Do?
- The Different Types of Gun Vault Dehumidifiers
- What Else Can Be Done to Keep Humidity Levels Low?
- The Advantages of a Gun Safe Dehumidifiers
- Wrapping It Up